Monday, March 05, 2012

Bad News for Potent Cholesterol Drug Users, but Not Me!

Two pieces of bad news for people who take "potent" anti-cholesterol statin drugs came into my email in-box today.

The first was about yesterday's New York Times OpEd piece published by a well-known cardiologist who said Americans are being "over-dosed" with statins to treat high cholesterol (see "We're overdosing on cholesterol-lowering statins says Top(ol) cardiologist").
"It is only with the more potent statins -- Zocor (now known as simvastatin), Lipitor (atorvastatin) and Crestor (rosuvastatin) -- particularly at higher doses, that the risk of diabetes shows up," said Dr. Topol. "The cause and effect was unequivocal because the multiple large trials of the more potent statins had a consistent excess of diabetes."
Coincidentally, I also received news that the FDA refused to approve Merck's experimental anti-cholesterol drug "MK-0653C" - an combination of generic Lipitor and Zetia (see "FDA Nixes Merck's New Combo Cholesterol Drug").

Merck hoped that the new drug would be better received than Vytorin, which combines a less-powerful statin produced by Merck (Mevacor - also off patent) with Zetia. Vytorin has been dead in the water since 2008, when studies showed that it worked no better than generic Mevacor alone to reduce plaques in arteries (see "Should I Stop Taking Zetia?").

I'm taking all this bad news personally since most of these drugs were recommended to me by my physicians over the past several years.

I've already documented how my GP wanted to switch me from Pravachol -- a weaker statin -- to Crestor and then she recommended I switch to Lipitor when it was about to go off-patent (see "Crestor Grapples to Compete with Lipitor: #Fail!"). Before that, my cardiologist recommended Zetia.

But I have refused to succumb to the "new is better" argument that these physicians were making. I was never impressed by Zetia and thought it was too much trouble to take two pills. Merck has been trying hard to combine Zetia with a generic statin to overcome precisely that adherence problem and to boost Rx sales of Zetia, which is not very effective on its own.

Too bad for Merck. It hasn't had much luck making a purse out of a sow's ear!

Meanwhile, my resistance to taking a stronger statin such as Crestor seems to have been the right decision for me because there is more diabetes in my immediate family than heart disease.

It seems these days that taking advice from a physician is like taking advice from a stock broker -- you can win or lose following their advice, but they win no matter what!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...