I'd like to try a "wisdom of the crowd" experiment and see if readers of this blog may be the oracle sought by the industry. So, here are the contenders for blockbusters and a bit of information about them. You add your own information and then vote on which ones you think will achieve blockbuster ($1 billion or more in yearly sales) status over the next few years.
- Januvia (Merck) - a recently approved "first-in-class" diabetes drug (enhances the body's ability to produce its own insulin).
- Galvus (Novartis) - an experimental diabetes drug, will compete with Januvia
- MK-0524A (Merck) - experimental drug being tested for its ability to increase HDL (similar to Pfizer's ill-fated torcetrapib)
- Arcoxia (Merck) - experimental anti-inflammatory pain killer drug for arthritis. Available outside US, may be approved next year by FDA.
- Acomplia (Sanofi-Aventis) - generally considered an anti-obesity drug. Available overseas, trying to get approved by the FDA in the US.