Monday, October 19, 2015

5 Reasons Why I Follow Martin Shkreli on Twitter

Martin Shkreli, CEO of Turing Pharmaceutical, has been called "the most hated man on the Internet" after he raised the price of a generic AIDS and cancer drug by exploiting a few FDA loopholes (see here).

Despite that, there are at least 5 reasons why I chose to follow him on Twitter.

#1: He Has a REAL Enigma Machine!
I always wanted one of these and I'm jealous that Mr. Shkreli has one. What pharma CEO would also not like to have an Enigma machine?

But the real Enigma is Shkreli himself! He recently tweeted: "New Enigma machine for our office. Perhaps it will help us crack the code in drug development."

Code? What code? We don' need no stinking' code! Unless the "code" is buy a cheap generic drug and exploit loopholes to jack up the price.

He tweeted the photo shown here as proof that he has the machine as well as some other junk he may or may not be using to help crack the drug development "code."

That's just a "wow" reason. Here are some other more important reasons why I chose to follow Shkreli on Twitter.

#2: He Is the Donald Trump of Pharma!
Like the Donald, Shkreli says some outlandish things on Twitter and engages in Tweet wars with followers who call him unethical, a vulture, a liar, a hypocrite, and many other derogatory things. He claims, for example, that all of his company's margin goes to research. Yet he is on record defending the price hike saying "It's a great business decision that also benefits all of our stakeholders" (see here).

He also is flaming out over Bernie Sanders' rejection of his $2700 donation (read about that here). In fact, he claimed to have fractured his wrist by punching a wall because of Bernie Sanders (see here). He asked followers if they knew how to treat the fracture without going to a hospital. It's all very entertaining.


#3: I Hope He Follows Me
A lot of pharma people follow me on Twitter, but I don't think any pharma CEOs do. Shkreli doesn't follow too many people but I hope he follows me, especially after I sent him an invite to connect via LinkedIn and become a guest on my Pharma Marketing Talk show.


Sorry, but I can't think of the other two reasons. Maybe you can help me with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...